2019 National Stamp Collecting Competition and Four-Nation (ASEAN) Stamp Contest
In August, 12 of our North Stars took part in the 2019 National Stamp Collecting Competition and the Draw my Stamp Story Competition, organised by the Singapore Philatelic Museum and brought home one Silver Award and one Gold Award with Special Prize, among a total of 44 teams and 176 students. Our exhibit that won the Gold Award with Special Prize has also been selected to represent Singapore at next year’s NZ2020 Stamp Exhibition in Auckland, New Zealand.
In addition, in April, our 2018 team that won a Gold Award with Special Prize last year took part in the ASEAN Four-Nation Stamp Exhibition held in Malaysia, and won a Bronze Award for their entry entitled 12 Things You May Not Know about Queen Elizabeth II. The entry was shortlisted for SINGPEX2019 which was held from 31 Jul – 4 Aug, under the competitive exhibit category.
Our school has been doing very well in the competition since 2016 and have won 6 Gold Awards with Special Prize since 2010, the year we joined the competition. Below are the past two year’s results:
2018 National Stamp Collecting Competition Achievements:
- Gold Award with Special Prize for the entry entitled 12 Things You May Not Know About Queen Elizabeth II – Lo Xinyan Emelda (1T1), Samantha Seak Hui Lin (1T1), Ng Wern Ting Clarisse (1E5), and Ooi Le You (1E5). This entry also represented Singapore and won a Bronze Award under Youth Category in the FourNation Stamp Exhibition held in Malaysia.
- Silver Award for the entry entitled The Land of Smiles - Thailand – Brian Davidson Fok Zhendao(2E4), Nur Adlina Binte Adam (2E4), Tee Hong Xun (2E4), and Teo Wen Xuan Nicole (2E4)
2017 National Stamp Collecting Competition Achievements:
- Gold Award with Special Prize for the entry entitled Father of Modern China - Dr Sun Yat Sen – Johan Fadli B Jailani (3E5), Aqil B Kusaini (3E5), Claudia Heng (3E5), and Wang Yiling (3E5). This entry also represented Singapore and won a Bronze Award under Youth Category in the FourNation Stamp Exhibition in Thailand.
- Silver Award with Special Prize for the entry entitled The Quest for Glory – Alex Low Hao Han (3E5), Aw Man Ling Joachim (3E5), Ghumaysa Asif (3E4), and Ng Wai Meng (3E5)
- Bronze Award for the entry entitled Guardians of Our Singapore Galaxy - Total Defence – Ng Xin Xiu (3N2), Lau De-En, Andrew (3N2), Hidayah Bte Roslan (3N2), and Gan Miao Zhen (3N2)
The National Stamp Collecting Competition aims to promote the use of postage stamps and philatelic materials to learn more about Singapore and the world. In this competition, students worked in groups of 4 to submit philatelic exhibits using stamp products and narratives based on a theme of their choice such as nature, culture, technology etc. Our students have shown resilience as they persevered in researching on information over many months and poring through the information on transport system, food of other countries and impact of music in life. In the process, they have developed learning and thinking skills such as language development, writing, research, organisation and creativity.